Welcome to "Popular Parker"


I’m Erika Siebring, a journalism student over at the University of Northern Colorado. However, I'm back in my hometown for the summer to improve my craft and practice my skills by tackling a new field -- blogging. Now, let’s talk about Parker, Colorado for a second.

My family of six moved into our house on the outskirts of Parker when I was in elementary school, and I’ve lived in this community and driven on these streets ever since. During the summer months, Old Town Parker comes to life, and that's my beat for this blog -- sharing what’s happening in my backyard. Downtown Parker isn’t just littered with historical markers, it also boasts unique restaurants and bars, public artwork, farmers markets and free concerts, topped off with an annual multi-day carnival aptly named Parker Days.

I picked this beat because even though I’ve lived here awhile, I want to connect more with my community and rediscover what I’ve grown up with. I do have experience covering a beat, but not quite of this nature. I have covered a certain demographic and certain resource centers while at school, but I don't have a lot of experience covering the main street of a whole town. Nonetheless, I'm excited. So, check back here every week for everything you’ll need to know in order to make the most of a summer in Parker.


My own journalistic experience is varied. I'm the editor-in-chief of UNC’s newspaper The Mirror and an intern reporter for Denver Life Magazine. I also occasionally write pieces for The Johnstown Breeze, with whom I have also interned. My primary strengths lie in the ability to find a story and determine what's best and most important for the public to know; stories are everywhere, but it's critical to find the ones that affect people the most. That being said, and given the nature of a blog, I have limited experience with active engagement on social media, but I am working to change that.


As far as blogging experience, I do in fact have an old blog, "A Seed in the Ground." Back in the summer of 2014, my family spent a month travelling in China; we basically moved in a giant 'C,' starting in Beijing and stopping in several cities and provinces before ending in Shanghai. "A Seed in the Ground" was where I kept my family and I’s record of nearly everything we saw, did and ate, albeit in an unedited and slightly jumbled manner. That, I'm afraid, is the furthest extent of my blogging experience.



As I re-enter this field in a more focused way, I’m most worried about my tone and writing style. Blogging appears to be more relaxed and conversational by nature, which I am excited to dive into, but I’m worried I'll end up being a little too conversational, if that's possible. I hope I’ll learn how to find the balance. Still, I'm thrilled at the opportunity to share my experience in this town with others, and to, in a manner of speaking, be a tourist in my own city -- I’m confident I’ll be able to provide an authentic Parker experience.



Anyway, I’ll see you all later this week with some brand new posts.

Comments

  1. Hello Erika! I fell in love with your blog instantly. I love the look and feel it has! (Great color pallet.) Your first post is a great introduction to Parker. I had no idea that it was home to so many historical markers or fun summer activities. I am looking forward to following your adventures in Parker and seeing how you develop this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Morgan! I was consciously trying to aim for a color palette that included green, to match all the trees that are in downtown Parker!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to see read more about Parker. I love everything to do with Colorado and I think covering your hometown in depth is a really creative way to share it with the world. There's so much potential for what you can do with this topic and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear from you, Amy! I want to do everything I can to make sure my posts properly encapsulate this little area of Colorado!

      Delete
  3. I think this is a very warm topic. I like Parker Colorado. I'm actually planning to move there soon. I think I will learn a lot about Parker. I really like the color scheme, it is very inviting. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear you'll be moving to Parker soon! I've loved growing up here and I'm sure you'll like it as well. I hope my posts offer you a glimpse of what goes on around here and if you have any questions at all please let me know!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts